An essential part of legal practice is to develop an efficient and effective marketing strategy for your firm which will help you get clients. A law firm may claim to provide the best possible legal counsel and service and it may have some of the most resourceful and intelligent attorneys working for it, but if the legal firm marketing strategy is a failure, it means the firm won’t attract clients and would thus be left without work and without money. Here are five tips which you must incorporate in your legal firm marketing plan which is sure to bring in a hoard of clients.
- Finance your marketing – If you are working on a marketing strategy, you must have a budget. You cannot develop a marketing plan with pennies. Rather, try investing at least 2% of your annual profits on marketing and just think of it as a long term investment which will surely give good returns if invested wisely. If you are short of cash, make sure you do not invest in marketing plans which do not give measurable returns like advertising in newspapers.
- Networking through existing clients – Every law firm has a pre-existing base of clients which send them regular work as they are happy with the firm’s services. A very effective legal firm marketing strategy is to exploit these clients to see if you can squeeze out more cases from them, especially if the client happens to be a big multinational company. You can organize company events such as corporate lunches and invite these clients to make them feel more comfortable with trusting your firm.
- Word of mouth marketing – The best and possibly the cheapest way is to get clients through referrals from existing or past clients. It is very important that the people you are hoping would put in a word of reference for you should know that you are willing to take on more clients. Also, it is important to make it clear what kind of work you are looking for as it would be really awkward if a person goes to great lengths to refer a matrimonial case to you when you only handle corporate matters.
- Attend client board meetings – One of the most convenient ways of meeting high flying executives of different companies, and therefore potential clients, is through attending executive functions or board meetings of your existing clients. All you have to do is request your client to include you in their next board meeting and you can charm a couple of clients to come to your firm.
- Assess your performance – Legal firm marketing is not an easy task, especially considering the immense competition every firm faces in the market. It is important to have a plan but it is equally important to assess whether the plan is working or not. Set a deadline for yourself after forming the strategy and at the end of the time period, assess whether your plan worked or not and what improvements you need to make.